Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Hearty Spinach and Chickpea Soup

Another winner from Power Foods. Although, I left out the shiitake mushrooms (for the sake of not going out to the grocery store), I did add some leftover ground turkey to hopefully make up for it. Brown rice, chickpeas, and spinach make for a hearty soup. And again, you can't go wrong with that ground turkey; its flavor just overwhelms whatever stock you use. It's delicious. Onion, garlic, and rosemary just add to the flavor.


I was mostly excited to make this soup because I had all ingredients on hand, and I got to use my new Dutch oven that Zack got me for Christmas. Yessssss. In fact, I never thought I would get this excited about receiving cookware for Christmas. But oh my word, it's pretty much the greatest. Thanks to Zack's dad, we also have ourselves some mighty fine stainless steel skillets and saucepans. And my parents overjoyed Zack and I with a Sur La Table gift card, which we promptly used to purchase some much needed items we've been somehow living without. The blog will surely benefit; no doubt.  

So. About the soup. Start by making the brown rice. Meanwhile, cook onion, garlic, and ground turkey in your large saucepan or Dutch oven. Throw in a couple sprigs of rosemary. Add stock, bring to a boil, stir in rice and chickpeas, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook for a few minutes allowing the flavors to blend. Wilt in some baby spinach, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, then serve with grated parmesan.


I made 6 servings of this soup, so Zack and I will be pulling some out of the freezer to warm up and enjoy in the future. Really comforting. Great variances in texture and flavor. Here's to another delicious soup fit for winter cuisine.

No comments:

Post a Comment