Sunday, January 08, 2012

Beef and Broccoli Stir-Fry with Quinoa


Since I started cooking, I've sort of gone through phases. During the summer, we enjoyed a lot of fresh Mexican-inspired dishes. Tostadas, burritos, fish tacos, etc. Then, I went through an I'm-in-love-with-pasta phase, but soon realized Italian isn't always the most light and healthful. Throughout November and December, I made stews and soups non-stop; they're just all I want on a cold, crisp day. Now, let the Asian-inspired phase commence! Don't get me wrong, I'm all over the place when it comes to cooking, so Zack and I are not going to be solely eating rice and sushi. But do prepare to see some good stir-fried dishes.


First off, beef and broccoli from Power Foods. Heat a neutral-tasting oil (such as canola) over medium-high. Saute minced garlic, finely julienned ginger, and red pepper flakes until golden. Stir frequently. Increase heat to high, add sliced beef and broccoli, and cook until beef is seared and broccoli is crisp-tender. Stir in tamari soy sauce and fresh-squeezed orange juice. Serve immediately over quinoa or brown rice.


I've never really stir-fried before. I think the one thing you've got to know is this: have all ingredients ready (measured, set out, chopped, etc.). Thank goodness I had the sense to do so. Because once you increase that heat to high, you're throwing things into that saute pan so fast and it's cooking so fast. And you're stirring like a crazy person. Or making those mad chopping movements in the air like you see Asian chefs do on TV.

For a split second, I think I actually thought I was a chef in an Asian restaurant. My stainless steel pan was sizzling, clanging, and steaming like none other. In fact, Zack (who has good experience making stir-fries) happened to leave the room when I was throwing in the garlic, and by the time he came back in, I was done. I'm like, "Oh hey, dinner's ready. Yeah, I made it in like 2 minutes. And yes, my face and hair have been steamed to the maximum." Definitely used that overhead fan for like the first time. On high.


Well, the adventure continues tonight. How about some chicken? With a little almond butter, rice vinegar, and tamari soy sauce mixture? Oh yes. Hot steam facial #2.

1 comment: