Saturday, January 28, 2012

Rice Bowl with Ground Turkey, Edamame, and Toasted Chickpeas

This was one of those saw a good-looking recipe, took what I liked, and made it my own types of meals. Okay, it was the toasted chickpeas that lured me in. If there are chickpeas involved, I am a goner. I'm toast. I'm taken. I just love them. I don't really know why; I mean, they're not that incredible. They're mainly known for being mashed and processed into hummus. Never the less, I like them. A lot.


This rice bowl was really delicious. Because I made a ton, we've been eating it the last couple days and I think it keeps getting better. The first night, I think I was overly consumed with all the flavors because I had been standing over all the skillets and saucepans for too long. I found it to be mediocre when I had a bite. But the next day, it was really good! All about texture and the subtle Asian flavor that come through.


Get some brown rice cooking first. Then, steam florets of cauliflower and thinly sliced ginger in a steamer basket over a saucepan of simmering water. Season with salt and cook until tender, adding in some frozen edamame towards the end of cooking. Meanwhile, saute ground turkey in some neutral-tasting oil (such as canola) until cooked and browned, breaking into little bits. Also, heat sesame oil in a skillet over medium-high and add chickpeas (drained and rinsed), toasting until slightly crisp. Add a little butter and thinly sliced scallions, stirring to combine, then remove from heat.


Combine the vegetables, ground turkey, and chickpeas, then spoon over brown rice. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. And enjoy.


1 comment:

  1. It was really good, although it sounds bland. I added a spill of tamari to salt it up a bit!

    ReplyDelete