Sunday, January 01, 2012

Slow-Cooker Squash Stew

This was ambitious. I used a slow-cooker for the first time (ha ha). Secondly, I made (well, I highly encouraged) Zack to try squash even though he was somewhat opposed.


I love squash. I don't really know why. And when I saw the picture of this Slow-Cooker Squash Stew on the Food Network, it just looked so cozy and delicious, I had to make it. It calls for Swiss chard, but Trader  Joe's didn't have any on hand when I was doing my grocery shopping, so I got kale instead. Same idea I think. I also used red kidney beans instead of chickpeas. And I threw in some ground turkey, which I sauteed with the onion and garlic before transferring to the slow-cooker.


I'm just all about ground turkey lately. Apparently, it has less calories and fat in comparison to chicken. Although, I love chicken too. Really the reason why I love the turkey so much is that its natural flavor just penetrates any soup or stew you put it in. It really is incredible. It adds an incredible richness. Try it the next time you make soup; I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment