Monday, November 14, 2011

Wild and Brown Rice Salad


Well, I definitely have some blog writing catch-up to do. I guess we've been busy. But still cooking never the less!


This last week, Zack and I set a goal: eat no restaurant food for one week. I usually meet Zack for lunch and we've sort of grown accustomed to getting food nearby his work. We try to be healthy (Subway, Asian food, etc.). But lately, I've gotten weirdly into personal finance and budgeting since I'm starting to work again. I'm all about saving money. And eating out does not equal "saving money."

It really is amazing how much less money buying a few lunch items from the grocery store is compared to eating out. I know this is all kind of obvious, but hey, I guess I got lazy about packing lunches and sort of forgot.

So, the rice salad. It's a great healthy alternative to pasta salad, and goes great with a turkey and ham sandwich on seedy, multigrain bread. This recipe has brown and wild rice in it, along with yellow bell pepper, celery, cucumber, tomatoes and cilantro. The dressing is a combination of extra-virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, stoneground mustard, salt, and freshly ground pepper. This rice salad just tastes so healthy and the crunch of the fresh vegetables provides for great texture. Plus, it saved really well in the refrigerator for a few days.


I guess this last week taught me that there is no substitute for fresh, homemade food. You feel better, you look better, and you save money! Perfect timing for this revelation considering the holidays are coming up. Wouldn't you agree?

No comments:

Post a Comment