Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Cardamom/Cinnamon Rolls

Yes. I bake a lot.

I made these cardamom/cinnamon rolls for Thanksgiving morning for my family. It was great. I made the dough, rolled, spread the butter and spices, rolled, cut the rolls, placed in pans, and chilled in the refrigerator for a couple nights prior to baking fresh that morning.


But it wasn't that easy. I begin melting butter and prepare to activate the dry yeast. And nothing happened. This sort of freaked me out because working with dry yeast just makes me nervous. I mean, what if they don't rise? And you're left with flat rolls?! Flat anything?! Doesn't sound good. Well, maybe flat, thin-crusted New York style pizza, but not flat cinnamon rolls. So I do a little online research (always helpful), and realize my dry yeast is dead. Or not activated. One of the two. Throw away and do not use. Really?


So I run to Trader Joe's down the street and wade through all the ladies and their shopping carts full of turkeys, pies, and apple cider. Two of them kindly let me cut them in line when they see me with my three packets of active dry yeast. The cashier says, "You came out into all this chaos just for that?" And I said, "Uh, yeah. I kind of needed it." And I did. The new dry yeast activated just fine and I was relieved that I didn't settle on my first batch.


Cardamom is an interesting twist on the usual cinnamon roll. The recipe actually only called for cardamom, but I thought it might be too strong for my younger sisters; hence, the addition of cinnamon. I think they turned out pretty well. A wee bit hard to pull out of the pans (they were technically only supposed to chill overnight) since some of the cardamom/cinnamon and brown sugar glaze sunk to the bottom, and hardened onto the pans. But that being said, they were pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment