Thursday, November 10, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

Chicken pot pie. Now that's a tall order. Been thinking about making them for awhile now. But because it's such a cozy, warm meal, I've been saving it for fall. So here we are.


This meal was serious business. Lots going on. First, you roast bone-in, skin-on chicken in the oven, then remove the meat from the bones, discard the skin, and cut into a large dice. Meanwhile, start heating chicken stock in one saucepan and begin melting butter in a large pot. Saute chopped onions in the butter until soft and translucent. Add a little flour, then the hot chicken stock, and simmer/stir until thick. Add salt, fresh ground pepper, a bit of heavy cream, cubed chicken, blanched carrots, frozen peas and corn, and a little chopped fresh thyme to the large pot. Divide the filling into ovenproof ramekins or bowls. Larger bowls are good for hungry husbands. Just saying.


About the pastry...I don't know what it is about it, but making homemade pastry kind of scares me. I think it's because I've been scarred by an unsuccessful attempt at making scones. If the cold diced butter isn't just so, you've ruined the whole batch of dough! So, I pulled Zack into the kitchen to help me (I thought he knew more about it then I did). Let's just say, I stood there and watched, and let him get up to the elbows in flour and crumbly, little pieces of dough.

Building these pies was interesting. As I egg washed the rims of the ramekins and bowls, Zack rolled out and cut the dough into circles (he just took over the whole dough extravaganza because I obviously had no idea what I was doing). There was egg wash everywhere and finding enough counter space was challenging in our little apartment kitchen. It was kind of a mess, but when these pies came out of the oven, it was evidently all worth it.


I think you have to go with bone-in, skin-on chicken for something like this. It just adds an unbeatable flavor. Although, a couple chicken bouillon cubes can apparently help with that as well. Bouillon, what? Those were new to me! And I like how simple (in terms of ingredients) these pot pies were. The filling really melds together into this smooth gravy, but with the addition of the chicken chunks, carrots, peas, and corn. It was super hot straight out of the oven (Zack and I both burnt our mouths), but so rich and delicious. The pastry dough was light and flaky. I was worried that dough just over the tops wasn't going to be enough (as opposed to a base also), but it was plenty. But note to the wise, the pastry flaked off much more effortlessly on the scalloped ramekins versus the smooth edges of our bigger bowls.

All in all, chicken pot pies were incredibly delicious and gourmet. The amount of butter kind of makes me cringe a little, but if you block that out of your mind and only consume every once in awhile, then I think it's okay. All things in moderation. :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment