Monday, October 03, 2011

Red Chile-Citrus Marinated Chicken and Tomatillo Guacamole

Tomatillos? What am I supposed to do with those? Apparently, the options consist mainly of guacamole and salsa. Fine by me. Zack and I are big fans of fresh Mexican, and I've had a lot of fun making fresh and healthy burritos, tostadas, and tacos since we got married. That's the way I like my Mexican. Fresh. I don't go for the mushy, melted, refried bean-covered soup on a plate. I know, I know. Maybe I haven't experimented enough with authentic Mexican (I'm sure there's good stuff out there), and don't worry, I'm not going to stop. Let's just say, it's not my favorite. Hence, fresh mission-style Mexican.


If you haven't added tomatillos to your usual guacamole recipe, than you should. Bright, green, and they blend beautifully after being husked, rinsed, and boiled for 5 minutes. This guacamole also contains a little onion, jalapeno, fresh lime juice, cilantro, and of course...avocados. Blend it all up and there you go. Oh, and don't lean in too close when you go to smell your guacamole. Eyes. Will. Burn. (Jalapeno and onion, anyone?)


The chicken marinade is all things citrus: fresh orange, lemon, and lime juice; plus, some olive oil and spices. I marinated the chicken for about an hour in the refrigerator. I've found that citrus is really a great option for Mexican. The intense squeezing fruit after fruit by hand can be a little intense, but it really gives you bold flavor.


Well, that's all for now. Keeping it fresh and simple. Keep an eye out for a red chard, potato, and white bean ragout showing up here soon. I may even throw in some more interesting vegetables, like romanesco (Roman what?)...more on that later. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment