Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Chicken Cutlets with Tomatoes and Green Bean Succcotash

Monday and Tuesday nights are a little tricky. Zack doesn't get off work until 8:00 p.m. so dinner is kind of always up in the air. Do we eat leftovers from lunch while Zack is still at work? Or, uhhh...cereal? Do we eat late (even though we know that eating after 8:00 p.m. is not really the greatest thing health wise)?

My solution is a light, easy meal that can be ready right when Zack gets home. (Doesn't that sound like a line out of a women's magazine? Yikes.) Okay, well you can't blame me for being a perfect wife right now because I don't exactly have a permanent job. Plus, I feel compelled to make it up to Zack, since he's the only one bringing in money at this point. And I spend it on groceries. And kitchen equipment.

Anyways. We've discovered the giant bag of frozen chicken breasts at Cost-co. We always have vegetables on hand from our vegetable delivery, and now we always have chicken. An easy meal is made. Last night it was chicken cutlets with some diced tomatoes (which were from my dad's garden I might add...thanks Dad) and a succotash.

The chicken isn't any more difficult that butterflying the breasts in half, seasoning with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, throwing in a skillet with some canola oil, and cooking over medium high under nicely browned. Pretty simple? Take out the chicken, and warm up your diced tomatoes in the same pan. The tomato juice just starts flowing and the flavor is incredible enhanced. It makes the chicken.


I discovered "succotash" at a restaurant recently. It's a food consisting primarily of corn and lima beans (or other shell beans). My dream. For those of you who don't know, I'm obsessed with corn. I really don't know why...how special is it really? Apparently, special enough. I have to refrain from making recipes that contain corn on a regular basis. Otherwise, it's all we would eat. Corn chowder, corn salsa, cornbread, grilled corn, corn with pasta...I have even had corn on pizza. Although, at this moment I can't recall where that was. Maybe in a dream...? So. I had corn, but no lima beans, so this is sort of a succotash variation. Green beans, carrots, peas, corn, onion, garlic, and thyme. All sauteed in vegetable stock, but the green beans and carrots need to be steamed first. Really, this was delicious. Onion and garlic make anything better, and the vegetable stock gives really good flavor.


A successful weeknight meal indeed. Here's to hoping I still have time to cook once I get a permanent job. Because I really like to eat. And I really like to cook.

2 comments:

  1. Cost-co? Your dad would be disappointed... hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the hyphen I threw in the problem? Oops.

    ReplyDelete