Monday, January 14, 2013

Broiled salmon with Mexican salsa verde + corn salad

Salmon is such a great fish and it is so easy to cook (not too mention oh-so-good for you). The options are endless. Furthermore, it's also good just plain and broiled. This makes for an easy weeknight meal.


I went ahead and paired it with Mexican salsa verde and a corn salad as adapted from Mighty Spice. Normally, I might just buy some good green salsa from Trader Joe's, but I'm on a roll with making most things from scratch. I've also discovered the endless opportunities for using my Cuisinart food processor (thank you, Ron). It has a new, permanent place on my kitchen counter. And we all know how I love corn, so this corn and tomato salad appealed to me.

Mexican salsa verde

As adapted from Mighty Spice Cookbook - Fast, Fresh, and Vibrant Dishes Using No More Than 5 Spices for Each Recipe


Serves 4.

Ingredients:

1 garlic clove
1 green jalapeƱo chili
6 scallions
1 tomato (or a couple small tomatoes)
2 large handfuls cilantro leaves
1 large handful mint leaves
2 large handfuls parsley leaves
juice of 3 limes
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

To make salsa verde, put all ingredients into a food processor with a scant 1/3 cup of water and blend until smooth.



Serves 4.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup corn kernels
1 scant handful mint leaves, finely chopped
juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
Pinch of Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper


In a mixing bowl, toss together the cherry tomatoes, corn, mint, lime juice, and oil and season with a good pinch of salt and pepper.


Mighty Spice actually calls for broiled red snapper for this meal, which I think would be good with the salsa and corn salad. However, Zack is not a big fan of snapper, so we opted for salmon but I think a whiter fish such as halibut could be good as well.


This was definitely better the next day, so really, the salsa and corn salad could be made ahead of time and kept in the refrigerator. All in all, a pretty simple but good meal.


Roasting my first whole chicken (amateur, I know) as I write, so I better run. More recipes to come soon! Cheers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment