Monday, September 12, 2011

Healthy Carrot-Zucchini Muffins

If you have carrots in the refrigerator that are turning a little soft on you, no worries. Apparently, they are all the more better for baking that way. So what do I do? A little internet surfing with "carrot muffins" as my key searching terms. When I stumbled upon "carrot zucchini," well, that was even better because we got zucchini in our fruit/vegetable box this last week. And healthy was key. All in all, this recipe met more criteria than I could have asked for. I love healthy muffins. In addition to that, I love a good healthy muffin recipe.

What makes it a healthier alternative to your usual muffin? Well, for one, it has vegetables. Wonderful. Second of all, it uses primarily whole wheat flour. I usually try to throw in a little whenever I bake, but I have definitely learned that some recipes can only tolerate a very small amount. It can be a little gritty, but that's okay in a muffin with vegetables. Also, this recipe uses canola oil and applesauce instead of vegetable oil. Quite a few baking recipes call for vegetable oil, but canola is a perfect substitute and a much healthier one. The applesauce has a similar consistency, so it can often be used to replace a portion of oil required in a recipe. Lastly, there's no white sugar in this recipe; just brown. And the cinnamon and ground nutmeg give it a nice spice. Oh, and I chopped some almonds and put a little brown sugar on top before baking. It adds the most delightful crunch.

A pretty healthy sweet treat if I do say so myself. I mean, who doesn't like a healthier version for dessert or for a mid-day snack? Okay, maybe that's just me, but come on...you are what you eat, right? I do love real dessert though. Like not-so-good-for-you dessert. Like donuts. And cake. But, you shouldn't really have that all the time. In that case, this healthy muffin is the perfect choice. Plus, it's darn tasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment