Sunday, August 28, 2011

Turkey Burgers with Heirloom Tomato and Basil Salad

What to do on a pleasant summer evening? Grill. And that's what Zack did last night. I prepared the burger fixings and a lovely (if I do say so myself...) heirloom tomato salad.

It all started with a trip to the always wonderful Central Market in Mill Creek. It is a grocery shopper's dream...aside from the fact that I haven't been there enough times to know where things are. Aisle by aisle we go. I'll just say, Central Market is like a Whole Foods; so nutritious and delicious. However, it is kind of bigger and better in some ways. More diverse. There are vegetables I have never seen before. As Zack says, it is "like Whole Foods on steroids." I mean, there's practically a whole Asian market inside Central Market. And there's live seafood galore. I like to just watch the crabs pinch and crawl all over one another. It's like an aquarium. Who doesn't want to visit an aquarium, a farm, a winery, and Asia during their grocery shopping trip?


These turkey burgers were amazing. So juicy and flavorful. Ground turkey with Panko bread crumbs, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, cayenne, extra-virgin olive oil, salt and fresh ground pepper. And that's not the end. Top the burger off with some grilled red onion underneath a lovely slice of melted provolone cheese. Wonderful, I tell you, wonderful. The heirlooms are simply special because they are heirlooms. Those colors are so inviting. We just drizzle the tomatoes with extra-virgin olive oil, then sprinkle on some fresh basil and a pinch of salt.

Now that I've got some recipes down to get this blog going, I am caught up and ready to write as I cook. P.S. There is some homemade espresso ice cream in the freezer right now...we're just waiting for it to freeze to the perfect consistency. Stay tuned. You can be sure to catch a glimpse of that ice cream here later.

No comments:

Post a Comment