Saturday, August 27, 2011

Polenta and Spinach Soup with Herb and Cheese Oven Fries

Power Foods. 150 delicious recipes with the 38 healthiest ingredients. I like using recipes from this cookbook because I know they are good for me. Weird, sometimes? Yes. But healthy and nutritious? That they are. And just to clarify, the soup is from the Power Foods book, not the cheese oven fries. However, the fries are simply sliced potatoes drizzled in extra-virgin olive oil with oregano, some everyday seasoning, and of course...salt and pepper. Parmigiano makes up the cheesy part. These fries could be powerful too; I'll let you decide that.

Anyways, the soup. It originated in northeast Italy. You may be beginning to see a trend here; I love Italian. So the soup is actually super simple. Heat extra-virgin olive oil and garlic, add water, bring to a boil, and add cornmeal in a steady stream. Then you want to reduce the heat and cook until the soup thickens slightly. More olive oil and parmigiano, then stir in the spinach.


Simple, but surprisingly good! I have to be honest...I only made this recipe because we had LOADS of spinach between our fruit/vegetable box we get every two weeks and some leftover from a previous recipe. And we had cornmeal on hand. However, it was a pleasant surprise. Zack thinks it would be a good appetizer soup. I agree. And now I know that you can make soup out of extra-virgin olive oil. Alrighty then.

No comments:

Post a Comment