Monday, July 23, 2012

Manhattan Fish Chowder


Chowder. Growing up, seafood was one of my least favorite things. Especially clam chowder. Unless it was loaded with bacon and corn and other delicious items that just might cover up the occasional chunk of clam.

At the same time, I've always wanted to like seafood. Throughout my childhood (and now as the tradition continues to live on), my family has always planned annual trips to the Oregon coast. And "crab night" has always been a regular occurrence. And my mom can't seem to get enough clam chowder when we are there. Then there's the occasional trip to the fresh seafood market; as you pass through the screen door, you can't help but feel like you've just dunked your head into the belly of a whale...the seafood scent is so strong.

So now that I've rambled about my history with seafood, the fact of the matter is this. 1) I continue to try different seafood because I truly want to like it; 2) I married a man who absolutely loves clam chowder; and 3) I now live in Seattle (Pike's Place fish market, anyone...?). Therefore, I now cook seafood. Little by little, slowly but surely.



And what was I battling during this seafood/chowder endeavor? Tilapia. And clam juice. And it wasn't too bad.

Cook pieces of bacon until brown and crisp in a large pot. Spoon off most of the rendered fat. Add diced onion and carrots; seasoning with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes.

Pour in a 28-ounce can of San Marzano tomatoes (these were crushed), add 2 cups clam juice (I may have substituted a little of that with vegetable stock...I said, slowly but surely) and 1.5 cups of water. Bring to boil. Add a couple russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks, in addition to chopped fresh thyme. Reduce heat and simmer. Cook, uncovered, until potatoes are tender.


 Add about a pound of tilapia fillets (cut into 2-inch pieces) and cook until opaque, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and serve with some crusty bread. This was mild as far as chowders go I think. Maybe more clam juice next time? And you could definitely substitute any white fish for the tilapia...I'm thinking halibut. Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment