Saturday, February 09, 2013

Perfect blueberry muffins

Oh, what to do with an abundance of big, beautiful blueberries in the freezer? Search for the perfect blueberry muffin recipe, that is.


I've made a couple blueberry muffin recipes, no too mention a plethora of other varieties. Muffins are just the perfect few bites in my book. And they're great for packing all sorts of creative ingredients into. You can do healthy, wholesome breakfast muffins, or you can do more of an indulgent dessert muffin (which may lead to a cupcake, naturally).


Long story short, Zack and I were craving some blueberry goodness (and looking for a way to use up some frozen blueberries), so I began my search for the perfect recipe. I love Ina Garten's blueberry coffee cake muffins, but I just wanted something a little different. Something not so cake-like. I stumbled upon one of my favorite new blogs, Smitten Kitchen, and lone behold they have a recipe titled, "perfect blueberry muffins." I was sold. They looked so golden. And they use lemon zest, which I love in a muffin.


Perfect blueberry muffins


As adapted from Smitten Kitchen, who adapted their recipe from Cook's Illustrated.


Makes 9-10 standard muffins.

5 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Heaping 3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen (don't bother defrosting, if frozen)



Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease muffin tins. Beat butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and beat well, then add yogurt and zest. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix in half of dry ingredients until combined, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients just until the flour disappears. Gently fold in blueberries. Dough will be thick (especially if you use full-fat Greek yogurt). Use a cookie dough or ice cream scoop to fill muffin tins about 3/4 full. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center of muffins comes out clean. Transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool, and enjoy (warm is best).



The recipe is pretty straightforward. And I like that this recipe doesn't make two dozen, so you don't have to worry about holding back from eating too many at once - which could be a problem because they are kind of dangerously good. Let's just say, this will now be my go-to blueberry muffin recipe that I will make again and again.



The hint of lemon is just heavenly, and I added more blueberries than called for, just because we love them. Furthermore, the texture if perfect. They are just dense enough that they keep shape well (no crumbling all over the place, here), but they're also very moist. I baked them until they were pretty golden, and I'm glad I did. They're beautiful. Beautiful to look at, beautiful to eat...they will make your life more beautiful. You must try. We did and we are again today. Enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! They look delicious, I will definitely be making these soon! :)
    PS- I LOVE Smitten Kitchen! Deb's cookbook is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! Yeah, I just discovered Smitten Kitchen's blog not too long ago through Pinterest. So many great recipes! P.S. Hope you guys are doing well; Zack and I were just talking about getting down to see you guys over some long weekend in the future. We'll be in touch I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete