Friday, July 20, 2012

Artichoke and Salami Sandwiches

Annnnnnd, it's been over 3 months since I was here last. I guess I sort of thought that the whole blogging thing was a phase. And when I started getting pretty busy with work, I decided I would just let it fizzle out. But the truth is, I've missed it. Therefore, this amateur (who is hopefully becoming less of one) is back! And just because I haven't been blogging does not mean we haven't been cooking. So there will be some good stuff to share.


First off, something simple. Salami sandwiches with an amazing artichoke-basil spread. A deliciously light dinner or a very splendid lunch. Find some yummy bread that you can toast up in the oven, hard salami, spinach leaves, tomatoes, fontina cheese, and make up the spread as follows.

Artichoke-Basil Spread

In a food processor, combine one 14 oz. can of artichoke hearts (or a 10 oz. package of frozen artichoke hearts, thawed), fresh basil leaves, a couple tablespoons of hummus, fresh lemon juice, about a 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red-pepper flakes, coarse kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Maybe give the artichoke hearts and basil a bit of a chop prior to mixing in the processor. This will make about 1 cup of the spread and it will save in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.

This spread would also be good on crackers or as a dip. It has a great, smooth texture and adds great flavor to your ordinary sandwich. 


Well, enjoy. And see you back here sooner rather than later. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment